Diplomas with Emphasis
Students are encouraged to pursue a “Diploma with Emphasis”. This special recognition is awarded to students who have explored a particular passion or curriculum area in greater depth. Recognition of the “Diploma with Emphasis” will include notation on student records and in the graduation program. A “Diploma with Emphasis” will provide a student’s recognition of additional effort.
It is recommended that students contact a teacher in the curriculum area of interest early in their high school career, if they have a desire to pursue such recognition.
Students are required to:
1. Identify a member of the department in which you are pursuing a “Diploma with Emphasis” who will act as your sponsor.
2. Demonstrate excellence in the courses that they are required to take for the “Diploma with Emphasis”. This could involve a minimum grade expectation for the courses, or assessments or both.
3. Provide a “real life” teacher approved demonstration of your learning. This could be done in a variety of ways; examples would be a performance or exhibition, internship, exploration or other actual experience.
4. Turn in the “Diploma with Emphasis” forms to the high school registrar on the following dates.
a. “Intent to Complete” form – by the end of the second week of second semester of senior year
b. Completed “Diploma of Emphasis” form – by the end of the 3rd Friday in May
Department Specific Requirements:
1. *Turn in a Letter of Intent to your department sponsor of the “Diploma with Emphasis” by the end of the student’s junior year.
2. *Complete all department specific requirements as listed below for the specific “Diploma with Emphasis”.
The following are the Diplomas with Emphasis offered: